Pages

Tuesday, February 11, 2014

There's Gonna Be Bad Days...

I am a huge competitor and that is why running is the perfect sport for me.  I am truly my own best competition.  Sometimes that is a really good thing and other times it is not.  When I first started this running thing I was extremely hard on myself when I couldn't go farther or when each run wasn't faster.  I wasn't fun not seeing improvement with each run.  Sometimes spending hours dwelling on the fact that I wasn't good  or strong enough that day.  Luckily I have grown a bit since those days and with the help of some fellow running friends realized that each day is different.  There are lots of different factors that can effect a run.  Such as:
  1. weather
  2. what you ate and when you ate last
  3. clothing issues
  4. tiredness
  5. emotional issues
  6. technical issues

That is just touching the surface on things that can cause each run to be different. Back in September I sent this message to an incredible running friend of mine:

"Is it normal to have days when your runs just suck?  I had broke through a wall ran my fastest mile pace on a training run on Tuesday.  Today was awful.  I had not energy and my time was almost a minute off. Aggghhhh!"

Her response:
"It is SO normal! You are totally on the right track. Every runner I know has bad runs. It makes you appreciate the good ones that much more. You are doing great lady!"

She is very wise and that was just what I needed to hear.

Today's run was like that one back in September and  I will admit I am a bit disappointed.  Sure my pace was a minute over the time I ran last week and I never quite got that runner's high.  I felt icky and thought at one point I would throw up...but the important thing is I did something....fact is:

There are gonna be bad days and if you can make it through it you will be stronger for not quitting!
Each run does not have to be further or faster.   Variables are good!!  Believe me it has taken a long time for me to get that through my head.
Another friend advised,
 "Listen to your body, some days it needs to go at a slower pace and other's it is ready to go hard."
Lesson:  Let the bad go.  Keep moving and enjoy the good!!





No comments:

Post a Comment